The band in its current form was established in 1950 by a group of eight men who each contributed to start an instrument fund. The next two years were spend fundraising to enable the purchase of a set of second-hand instruments. This then formed the Esh Winning Colliery Welfare Band and became a full band.
The band have had an incredibly successful history right from the get-go when they appeared at the 4th Section National Finals in 1956 where they gained first place and were promoted to Third Section. Their initial instruments were beginning to fall apart and so the Coal Board were persuaded to provide a new set in 1961.
Like so many bands in the North (particularly the North East) the band suffered in 1968 with the closure of the Esh Winning Colliery which lost the band both financial support and a rehearsal space. After a while the band were relocatedand bought their own band hall.
In 1979 the band changed its name to the Bearpark and Esh Colliery Band and found themselves entirely self supporting when the Bearpark Colliery closed in 1984.
The band is not just about contesting. They take part in many events throughout the year including playing in fancy dress on Christmas Eve. The band work hard to help other organisations raise money. But this is not to say they do not have contest success! in recent years the band has rocketed through the sections and now competes in the 2nd section.
The band welcomes anyone who wishes to take an active role in the band, both musically and socially. Their atmosphere is friendly and welcoming.